A Different Kind of Renew




That is why we never give up. Though our bodies are dying, our spirits are being renewed every day. For our present troubles are small and won’t last very long. Yet they produce for us a glory that vastly outweighs them and will last forever! So we don’t look at the troubles we can see now; rather, we fix our gaze on things that cannot be seen. For the things we see now will soon be gone, but the things we cannot see will last forever. 
2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"We're getting ready to do some remodeling in our house."  I've said this over a dozen times since the end of the summer. Justin and I have mulled over a variety of projects we would like to tackle but decided to give our kids' rooms a facelift first. We've purchased new flooring, all new beds and some other accessories along the way. The kids picked out their new color schemes and room themes months ago. There's only been one setback, we could never seem to actually get started. So many things had to be done before we could really start the process. Rooms needed to be cleaned, toys and clothes needed to be purged, and their current furniture disassembled and removed. Trying to maneuver through it all while maintaining our regular routine and responsibilities was quite the feat. As time went on, the hustle and bustle of the holidays made it nearly impossible to begin. It just seemed like we'd never have time to tackle the real work of the project with all the interruptions. So, there it sat...waiting...in preparation mode...on the back burner. 

Last week my oldest daughter and I took a quick trip to Forth Worth with friends. While she and her friends attended the Passion conference, us room moms got to have some much-needed downtime and did a little fun of our own. 



While we were away, my husband messaged me that our two teens cleaned out the boys' room, removed all their baseboards, and ripped up the old carpet. ALL. BY. THEMSELVES. I was pretty impressed with their commitment to tackle such a monumental task on their own, but they did an amazing job! Despite the messy chaos that has ensued in our home, I'm happy to officially say "we're remodeling our house." 









Over the past few days the word 'renew' has come to my mind as I ponder the upcoming new year. I guess it's pretty basic term for starting fresh on January 1st, but when I looked it up, this particular definition caught my attention. 

re·new /rəˈno͞o/

verb

1. resume (an activity) after an interruption

I was stunned. I never would have considered the verb renew to simply mean KEEP GOING! That term to me has always meant to be refreshed...out with the old and in with the new.  This new definition reminds me of a Bible story in Exodus our pastor recounts from time to time. When Moses was leading the Israelites out of Egypt, they reached the Red Sea and panicked when they saw Pharaoh's army closing in. In Exodus 14:15, God says to Moses, "...why are you crying out to me?! Tell the people to get moving..." We know now that their long years in captivity, though not a surprise to God, was just one interruption in the bigger story He was writing for them.  Egypt wasn't their beginning, and it certainly wasn't their end, but it had an enormous impact on their future and the future of the entire world. 

When a new year rolls around, we often long for a big change, a different role, or a fresh opportunity. Who doesn't like a clean slate, right? However, looking at that definition of the word renew was like changing the focus of a camera lens. I gained a whole new perspective, and it was such a relief.  It taught me that renewal doesn't require some major shift or quantifiable change. Any path, old or new, will have its own share of deficiencies and difficulties. The Israelites definitely faced many while wandering in their newfound freedom. 

Despite this truth, it's hard not to chase the perfection of newness. I think the hardest part about getting started on our house remodel was that I wanted the beautiful end result without the interruption of the process. I wanted to preserve our status quo while attempting to usher in progress. This seems to be the case with us on a spiritual level as well. We want renewal without being renewed. Until God calls us home, we must set aside the notion of complete restoration and simply resume the messy process of becoming like Him. While we are daily being renewed into God's original creation before sin entered mankind, may 2023 be the year to KEEP MOVING, embrace the inevitable messy interruptions and remember that one day we'll be fully renewed in Christ for all of eternity.   

Put on your new nature and be renewed as you learn to know your Creator and become like him. Colossians 3:10


The best pics I have...totally failed to get a whole family photo at Christmas or New Years😧

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Things that bother me or that I simply don't like

Why I think I'm ADD and shouldn't have to take a test to find out

I laugh to keep from crying (or yelling)