It’s a Life Full of Wonder

 


In the movie It’s A Wonderful Life, when George Bailey had his breakdown and got his wish to have never been born, he had an incredible experience. He got to see what it would be like for everyone he knew and loved to reject and hate him. During his time, with only Clarence the angel as his friend, he essentially ended up homeless and alone. Ironically the reasons for his breakdown included problems with his job, house, and family. It became pretty clear that George’s biggest problem wasn’t his problems, but rather his failure to let go of his own expectations for his life and fully embrace the wonder of the life he’d been given. When George finally came out of his dream state and returned to his family, he soon realized what a blessed life he had all along. Everything that once caused him grief and worry were now a sight for sore eyes. He even felt excited to see Mr. Potter, his worst enemy! George quickly realized that all the fulfilled dreams and money in the world was no match for the life he had. No problems that might arise were not worth giving up on all the blessings he’d been given. 


If I’ve learned anything in 2020 it’s that there’s both positive and negative outcomes in almost every situation. It certainly hasn’t felt like a wonderful life, but it has been full of wonder! The trials of 2020 have left us with both treasures and tragedy. Most of us have suffered losses of different kinds, but we’ve also drawn closer to one another through the difficulty and have realized what matters most. The reality is that 2021 may not be that different from 2020. People will get sick while others will be healed. People will pass away and babies will be born. New relationships will form and old ones will dissolve. Dreams will be fulfilled and others will be shattered. 


My hearts deepest cry is that whatever 2021 holds, I will not allow the bad of what God allows to overshadow the good of what He’s doing. I pray that I not measure the quality of my life on my expectations of Him, but simply let him be God and follow Him wherever He leads. I hope to embrace the wonderful life He gives me in spite of what He does not. My natural sinful self is tempted to have wandering eyes. I’d like to put contingencies on the Almighty and lament as Job (and George) did during his dreadful plight. 


I do wonder at times is there a limit to my faith? Is it breakable? Will my eyes remain fixed on my Savior, the author of my life or in one moment of weakness will I deny Him and give up on everything I’ve ever known? Will I accept whatever He gives me and call it good? Or will I reject his path and forge my own even if only for a short time? I hope and pray that I can remain faithful. I worship him today and pray He gives me the grace and strength to worship Him tomorrow. I trust that He is the author and finisher of my faith that began thirty two years ago when I gave Him my heart. Fear, anxiety, and the worries of this world may try to cloud out that truth, but I’m determined to remain in Him as he remains in me no matter what 2021 brings. 


“You will keep in perfect peace all who trust in you, all whose thoughts are fixed on you!”

‭‭Isaiah‬ ‭26:3‬ ‭NLT‬‬


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Things that bother me or that I simply don't like

Why I think I'm ADD and shouldn't have to take a test to find out

I laugh to keep from crying (or yelling)