Rest for the Weary

As believers, we can get overwhelmed juggling daily tasks and responsibilities while burdened with what we see God doing in our lives spiritually.  As we walk through our lives we carry what is happening inside with us everywhere we go. The internal journey evolves slowly, but for the most part it’s consistent and constant. We wake up every morning with it staring us in the face. God teaches us more and more as we grow and walk with Him.  On the other hand, the external is ever-changing. Our daily tasks may be a mundane routine, but no two days are the same. As time passes, our roads take many twists and turns along the way.  It can be very overwhelming to walk and stay focused on the external when the unfolding of what is happening internally gets to be more than we can bear. This happens because so much of what takes place day to day reminds us of the inner passage.  

We see all of this before us and challenge the old idea that “God does not give us more than we can handle” and we wearily persevere like good soldiers for the Lord. However, if we understand that we can do nothing at all without God’s help, this statement might be partially true. It may be more accurate to say that “God doesn’t give us more than we can handle without Him.” That one word makes a big difference.  We feel the heaviness of these burdens, both external and internal, because we have added our own agenda to His plan and we are trying to carry it all alone. Matthew 11:30 says, “Come to me all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light.”

As I currently walk an unusual spiritual journey, I reach moments of unbearable anxiety. The Lord constantly reminds me that what He has tasked me with is quite simple. I believe he has given me three easy instructions. He wants me to love my husband, raise my kids, and follow Him. That’s it. Everyone's tasks may look different, but we do not have to figure Him out or try to make our lives work. We do not have to chase Him down. We simply take up our cross and walk beside Him on the very narrow and bumpy path. We don’t need to run unless we are running from the enemy who tries to pull us off the path. We can slow down. Micah 6:8 instructs us “to do what is right, love mercy, and walk humbly with God.”  As we walk in obedience with Him, He will guide our steps and help us along the way. We cannot rush ahead of Him nor should we linger behind. The cross can get heavy at times, but if we stay with Him, He will make our burden lighter. As he lightens the load, the joy and peace He gives overflows and with His strength, we can manage the external tasks before us despite what the internal journey unfolds.

“He gives power to the weak and strength to the powerless. Even youths will become weak and tired, and young men will fall in exhaustion. But those who trust in the Lord will find new strength. They will soar high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint.”
Isaiah 40:29-31

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Things that bother me or that I simply don't like

Bring On The Broken